What to Eat in Preparation for IVF
What diet is best for a successful IVF? What should you eat? What should you avoid? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Dr. Jeffrey Russell, Director of the Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine and lead researcher on some of these cutting edge studies.
- What does the latest research show on how diet and nutrition affects fertility and the infertility treatment, including IVF?
- How many patients were in the study?
- What is the preferred ration of carbohydrates to protein to optimize maximum fertility and increase your chances of success with fertility treatment?
- Does it matter what type of protein you eat to increase your fertility? Plant based vs. animal based protein?
- What percentage protein should be in your diet to optimize egg quality?
- Is BMI or percentage protein most important in increasing the success of infertility treatment?
- Why does increasing the protein content of the diet increase fertility?
- What software or apps are best for determining the percentage protein?
- Can diet affect the typical egg quality deterioration that comes with aging?
- How long do you need to change your diet before you see an improvement in fertility?
- Does the quality of carbohydrates in your diet affect your fertility or the chances of successful infertility treatment?
- How can vegetarians and vegans alter their diet for optimal fertility?
- Does a high protein diet improve Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)?
- Will the fertility of those with PCOS improve with a higher protein diet?
Image credit: Michael Stern
Show originally aired in 2012.