Impact of Covid-19 on Fertility Treatment and Pregnancy
What do we know about how Covid-19 affects infertility treatment and pregnancy. Are pregnant woman more at risk? What happens if the mom has Covid-19 while pregnant? We interview Dr. David Adamson, a reproductive endocrinologist and surgeon, Clinical Professor at Stanford University, and Associate Clinical Professor at UCSF. He is Past President of the ASRM, SART, AAGL, the Committee on Reproductive Medicine for FIGO and is Founder, of Advanced Reproductive Care (ARC Fertility).
ASPIRE: Assessing the Safety of Pregnancy In the CoRonavirus PandEmic for women currently 4-10 weeks pregnant. This study is being done to help understand the spread of COVID-19 infection among pregnant women and how infection might affect the health and wellbeing of pregnant mothers and their babies.
- What is the current position by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine on whether to proceed with infertility treatment?
- Why is fertility treatment itself being postponed?
- What is the impact of an infertility patient to not be able to do a treatment now?
- What do we know about the impact of contracting Covid-19 while pregnant? I want to talk about both the impact on the mom and on the baby.
- The Covid-19 virus is part of a family of viruses that includes SARS and MERS. What do we know about how SARS and MERS impacted pregnant women and their babies.
- Are pregnant women at a higher risk of contracting Covid-19?
- In general, what are the risks of any viral infection while pregnant? Risk of fever? How do pregnant woman do with the flu?
- What do we know about how pregnant woman are handling Covid-19? How strong are the studies?
- What are the risks to the fetus/baby during the first trimester?
- What are the risks to the baby during the second trimester?
- What are the risks to the baby during the third trimester?
- What are the risks of labor if sick?
- Can an infected mom pass the virus on to the baby during pregnancy? Can the virus penetrate the placental barrier?
- What are the risks of an infected mom passing the virus to the baby post birth?
- Do they recommend separating the newborn from the mom if she is infected?
- Is there a risk of spreading the virus to the baby via breast milk?
- How is Covid-19 affected newborns? Babies under 1 year?
Music credit: Michael Ashworth
Image credit: Anna Shvets