Getting Pregnant with Male Infertility
What are your options for getting pregnant if your diagnosis is male infertility? What can you do to increase your odds before going to fertility treatment? What type of infertility treatments are most successful? Is there a fertility diet that will increase male fertility? Our guests are Dr. Grace Centola, internationally recognized specialist in andrology and male infertility, and current President of the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology; and Dr. Jessica Mann, reproductive endocrinologist with Reproductive Science Center of New Jersey.
- How common is male factor infertility in the general population of infertility patients? I’ve read stats from anywhere from 30% to 50%.
- The first step in diagnosing male infertility is a standard semen analysis. Is it important that this first test be done by a specialized doctor, or can you use your internist or RE or family doctor to preform this test?
- Should you ask for anything specific or special to be done with the first test?
- How long should the man have gone without sex to get the best representative sample?
- A semen analysis tests for volume, count, motility and morphology. Which one is more likely to be the problem? Which is the most common?
- For couples who want to try everything they can to up their odds before they go through fertility treatment, should they try the menstrual cups —Diva Cup or Instead are two brands–after intercourse?
- What is the optimal frequency of intercourse to increase the odds of a natural conception when trying to get pregnant?
- Has research shown that a specific diet or foods will positively or negatively affect male fertility?
- Do soy products negatively affect a man’s fertility or sperm count?
- How do you know if you should try IUI first or go directly to IVF if your spouse has male factor infertility?
- Is ICSI routine now with IVF if any male infertility is involved? Should it be?
- How are the sperm to be used for ICSI chosen?
- How does a man’s weight affect his fertility or sperm count?
- Why does obesity cause infertility?
- How to choose sperm from a sperm bank?
- Is sperm from a sperm bank safe?
- Do cell phones cause or contribute to male infertility or a lower sperm count?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed