Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Angie Beltsos, the CEO and Medical Director of Vios Fertility Institute Chicago. She is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI), practicing medicine since 1991.
- Most of us probably know the basics of how conception works: sperm meets egg. If it is happening without fertility treatment, they meet in the fallopian tubes and the embryo then moves its way to the uterus where it implants in the uterine lining or endometrium lining. If IVF is being used, the sperm meets egg in the lab and when it is about 3-5 days old it is transferred via the vagina through the cervix and deposited in the uterus where we hope that it will implant into the endometrial lining. What makes a good endometrial lining that will encourage implantation?
- How important is the thickness of the lining?
- How does scarring in the uterus affect getting pregnant and what causes scarring?
- What influences how the uterine lining develops?
- Why is the implantation window so important?
- What are the signs that a failed cycle might be the result of implantation failure vs. some other factor?
- How can a diagnosis by made of a lack of endometrial receptivity?
- What percentage of IVF failures are associated with endometrial factors?
- What is the Endometrial Receptivity Array (ERA) test?
- How does the test work?
- Is this recommended for most patients, or only those at increased risk for an IVF cycle failure?
- What is the cost of the Endometrial Receptivity Array (ERA) test? Is it covered by most insurance if the patient is lucky enough to have medical insurance coverage for fertility treatment?
- What is endometrial scratching?
- Can it be used by couples trying to conceive with no fertility treatment or with those using IUI or IVF?
- What does the research show about the success rate of endometrial scratching to improve pregnancy rates?
- Who is endometrial scratching recommended for?
- Is endometrium scratching painful?
- How much does it cost?
- What causes endometrial problems that can interfere with pregnancy?
- Is there a genetic component?
- Does it increase with age?
- How to treat an infertility patient where you suspect that the problem is with implantation?
- What can a woman do to improve her uterine lining? Are there foods that will enhance the lining? Lifestyle choices that can make a difference?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed
Image credit: Hey Paul Studios
Show re-aired in 2018.