Sherrie Eldridge, author of Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew, 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed, Twenty Life-Transforming Choices Adoptees Need to Make and Forever Fingerprints talks about twenty key issues that can potentially damage the relationship between adoptees and their parents, and what parents and families can do to prevent it.
- How should parents handle the adoption story? When should they tell their child their adoption story?
- What is the best way to honor the biological parents?
- What are the six mistakes that adoptive parents can make?
- How should parents deal when their child decides to search for her birth parents?
- How should parents prepare their children for the possibility of rejection from their birth family?
- What does research say about adoptive children’s ability to adjust socially and mentally?
- What is the impact of the birth mother’s emotional state during her pregnancy on the emotional health of the child?
- How does the age of adoption influence the child’s adjustment and feeling of connection with his forever family?
- How can adoptive parents respect their child’s privacy to her adoption story?
- What is adoptive parent guilt and how does it impact their parents?
- How can parents broach the subject of birth parents when there is no information?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed