Questions to Ask Adoption Attorney References
For Adoptive Parents
- When was your adoption completed?
- What risk factors, race, special needs, or health status were you open to?
- What services did the lawyer provide before and after the adoption?
- Did the lawyer help match you with an expectant mother?
- Did they provide options for pre-adoption education?
- How close were the cost and time estimates that the lawyer gave you?
- Were there any hidden charges?
- What was the total cost of your adoption?
- Was the lawyer up front about all possible medical or legal issues? Did they help you get additional information?
- Did you have any problems with the lawyer? If so, how were they resolved?
- Did they seem impatient with your questions or anxiety?
- How promptly did they return phone calls and send requested material (if applicable)?
- Was the lawyer helpful when you were traveling to adopt from another state?
- Would you use this lawyer again?
- Can you give me the names of others who used this lawyer to adopt?
- How did you decide to place your child for adoption? Did you feel pressured into making an adoption plan by the lawyer?
- What support did the lawyer give you during and after your pregnancy? Did you feel like you received adequate support?
- How did you hear about this lawyer?
- What sort of relationship do you have with your child’s family? Do you feel like the lawyer provides support for that relationship?
- Would you recommend this lawyer to a friend who was considering placing a child for adoption?
Image credit: ed_needs_a_bicycle