Differences Between Adoption Facilitators, Lawyers, and Agencies

Q&A with the Experts


Differences Between Adoption Facilitators, Lawyers, and AgenciesQ: I am currently researching ways to adopt. I’m still not positive what the difference is between using facilitators, adoption lawyers, and agencies. Can anyone explain this to me? Pros and cons?

A: Each state has different laws on who can help you adopt. In most states you can use either an adoption agency or an adoption attorney.

In the past there were greater distinctions between adoption agencies and adoption attorneys, with adoption attorneys providing fewer services for expectant and birth parents and less post adoption services for adoptive families. Those distinctions are blurrier now with some attorneys providing full services and others working closely with agencies to provide these services. It is true that most adoption agencies are considered “full service”, while adoptive parents can often pick and choose what services they want when working with an adoption lawyer. They may also differ on cost and waiting time and restrictions on who they will work with. A facilitator is a person (or business) that finds expectant woman who may want to place their child for adoption. They seldom provide any type of services and are not legal in all states. Check out this Creating a Family radio show: Differences Between Using an Adoption Attorney, Adoption Consultant, and Adoption Facilitator.

If you go the attorney route, we strongly recommend that you use an attorney that specializes in adoption. To find one, check out these Creating a Family resources on adoption attorneys.   If you go the adoption agency route, you can use our 3 step process for choosing an agency.

Image credit: GVAHIM

03/12/2012 | by Q&A with the Experts | Categories: Adoption, Adoption Q&A with the Experts | 2 Comments

2 Responses to Differences Between Adoption Facilitators, Lawyers, and Agencies

  1. Avatar Debbie says:

    Hi, My name is Debbie . Seeking information on how to adopt my niece that lives in Dominican Republic . I was informed I need an agency to assist with the home study. My niece is currently 8 years old and she need my assistance and loving to take care of her. Her mother and my brother are unable to take care due poverty .

    • Dawn Davenport Dawn Davenport says:

      Debbie, you need to contact an international adoption agency that does kinship adoptions. They can help you understand the process and also help you assess whether this will be possible. A child has to meet the definition of “orphan” in order to be eligible for international adoption.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑

Content created by Creating a Family. And remember, there are no guarantees in adoption or infertility treatment. The information provided or referenced on this website should be used only as part of an overall plan to help educate you about the joys and challenges of adopting a child or dealing with infertility. Although the following seems obvious, our attorney insists that we tell you specifically that the information provided on this site may not be appropriate or applicable to you, and despite our best efforts, it may contain errors or important omissions. You should rely only upon the professionals you employ to assist you directly with your individual circumstances. CREATING A FAMILY DOES NOT WARRANT THE INFORMATION OR MATERIALS contained or referenced on this website. CREATING A FAMILY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR ERRORS or omissions in this information and materials and PROVIDES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, implied, express or statutory. IN NO EVENT WILL CREATING A FAMILY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, including without limitation direct or indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising out of or in connection with the use of the information or materials, EVEN IF CREATING A FAMILY OR ITS AGENTS ARE NEGLIGENT AND/OR ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.