Deciding on a Country When Considering International Adoption
How in the world do you choose a country to adopt from in international adoption? We will present a systematic step by step process for choosing a country for international adoption. Our guest is Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, a nonprofit providing education and support for adoption and infertility, and author of The Complete Book of International Adoption.
Hit the Highlights
- Step by step approach
- US citizenship required of at least one adoptive parent to adopt internationally
- Length of marriage requirement to adopt abroad
- Parental age requirement for international adoption
- Can you have been divorced and still adopt from another country
- Can you have biological children and still adopt internationally
- Can single women adopt from abroad
- Can single men do an international adoption
- Can single gay or lesbians adopt internationally?
- How old are children when adopted from another country
- Can you adopt transracially
- Can you request the gender of the child you want to adopt
- Can you specify that you want to adopt a girl?
- Cab you adopt more than one child at the same time?
- Do you have to travel abroad when you adopt
- Can you have your child escorted to you with international adoption
- How are children referred with international adoption
- What does blind referral mean
- How long do you have to wait in international adoption
- How much does international adoption cost
- Can you adopt a healthy child internationally
- What country should you adopt from if you want a young healthy child
- How common is Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) in international adoption
- How can you make sure that you do not adopt a child with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) when adopting from another country
- Which countries have stable international adoption programs
- My opinion on when Guatemala will reopen to international adoption