Parent-child relationships affect child behavior and parental happiness. My guest, clinical psychologist and author of Beyond Time-Out: From Chaos to Calm, Dr. Beth Grosshans, believes that 50 years of parenting advice — with its emphasis on talking, focusing on self-esteem, and time-outs—has disrupted the balance of family power and is largely to blame for today’s lack of discipline.
- What makes it difficult for parents to establish authority?
- Are parents who struggle to become families more or less authoritarian with their children?
- What is the imbalance of power?
- What are the warning signs of an imbalance of power?
- How can parents effectively discipline their children?