Avoiding Domestic Adoption Scams
Adoption scams can happen with domestic infant adoption. Today we will talk about how to recognize and avoid an adoption scam in domestic adoptions. Our guests are Brenda Horrocks, an adoptive mom and adoption scam victim, and Suzanne B. Nichols, an adoption attorney.
- What are typical adoption scam perpetrated by expectant women?
- How common is baby selling attempts?
- What are some of the red flags for an adoption scam?
- How much are adoptive parents allowed to pay a prospective birth mother for living expenses, clothes, transportation, food, etc.?
- When should an adoptive parent require proof of pregnancy?
- What are warning signs that an expectant woman does not plan to go through with the adoption?
- What are warning signs of adoption fraud?
- What can adoptive parents do to protect themselves from adoption fraud?
- Is it illegal for birth mothers to lie about prenatal exposure to drugs or alcohol?
- Should you pay a large up front fee to an adoption agency?
- What laws apply to prevent adoption agency fraud?
- How can prospective adoptive parent scam prospective birth mothers?