Raising Resilient Kids
How can we raise children who are resilient and able to bounce back from the ups and downs of life and move forward with optimism and confidence? In this episode, we talk with Dr. Ken Ginsburg, the Co-Founder and Director of Programs at the Center for Parent and Teen Communications, a Professor of Pediatrics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and The University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine, and author or “Building Resilience in Children and Teens” and “Raising Kids to Thrive”.
In this episode, we cover:
- What is resilience and why is it important. Resilience is the ability to bounce back and the capacity to rise above difficult circumstances, allowing our children to exist in this less-than-perfect world, while moving forward with optimism and confidence.
- What are the biggest challenges in creating resilience in children?
- Raising resilient kids
- We want our kids to be successful. What is Success- how does it relate to happiness?
- The importance of imagining the person we want our child to be at 35. How to take the long view of parenting?
- How to Foster Resilience in Children / What are the two fundamental principles of building resilience in our children? Young people will be resilient when the important adults in their lives believe in them unconditionally and hold them to high expectations.
- Unconditional love is key to resilience. It gives children the deep-seated security that allows them to take chances when they need to adapt to new circumstances and the knowledge that in the long run all will be okay.
- What do we mean by hold them to high expectations?
- What are the 7 crucial ingredients to building resilience in our kids/raising resilient kids: strategies to build the seven crucial “Cs” — competence, confidence, connection, character, contribution, coping, and control.
- How does trauma impact resilience?
- Resources mentioned in this episode: https://parentandteen.com/category/for-teens/
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Image Credit: Ann H