Raising a Child with ADHD to a Successful & Healthy Adulthood
Do you suspect your child has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)? Don’t miss today’s show with Dr. Tamara Rosier. She is the author of “Your Brain’s Not Broken: Strategies for Navigating Your Emotions and Life with ADHD.” She runs the ADHD Center of West Michigan and is president of the ADHD Coaches Organization.
In this episode, we cover:
- Understanding Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- What is ADHD?
- What are the symptoms?
- Are foster, adoptive, and kinship kids more prone to ADHD?
- How to tell if our child’s behavior is ADHD or caused by the trauma they’ve experienced?
- Treating ADHD
- Importance of early diagnosing and intervention.
- To medicate or not?
- Should you take a medication break/holiday?
- Parenting Challenges with Raising a Child with ADHD
- Managing expectations.
- Emotional management is key.
- Stop comparing your child and yourself to other parents and their “perfect” kids.
- Sticking to an activity – the challenge of finding the balance between encouraging a child to persist and letting go.
- Why can my child focus on a video game but take 3 hours to finish a 30-minute homework assignment? And what can I do about it?
- What to let go and what to not. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Looking for the Positives of ADHD
- ADHD is not a disorder but rather a trait or neurological difference.
- Strength of divergent thinking.
- Tips for parents raising a child with ADHD
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Podcast Producer: Megown SoundWorks
Image Credit: RDNE Stock Project