How to Raise a Child Who Will Thrive
What are the 7 essential character traits that parents can teach their children to increase resiliency? In this episode we talk with Dr. Michele Borba, an internationally renowned educational psychologist and author of Thrivers: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine.
In this episode, we cover:
- You paint a picture in your book of tweens, teens and young adults who are stressed, anxious, depressed, and lonesome. Why are our kids experiencing this?
- Importance of play in raising a child who will thrive
- Importance of sleep.
- 7 essential character traits of a child who will thrive both in childhood and adolescence but also into adulthood.
- What is the difference between self confidence and self-esteem?
- How does parental praise factor into teaching self-confidence?
- How do you teach self-confidence?
- Why is empathy so important to resilience?
- How do you teach empathy or at the very least encourage it?
- How does our modern technology impact empathy?
- What is self-control in children?
- How do we teach self-control?
- How do you define integrity?
- How can we help our kids develop integrity?
- Why is curiosity important for thriving?
- What can we do or not do to encourage curiosity?
- What causes kids to give up?
- What can parents do to help?
- Is optimism an inborn temperament or one that can be taught?
- If you could leave parents with 5 actionable tips for raising a “thriver”, what would they be.
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth