Introduction to International Adoption
What does it take to adopt a child from abroad and what type of kids are available. To learn more, listen to our interview with Robin Sizemore, Executive Director of Hopscotch Adoptions, who has worked in the international adoption field for 27 years and Debbie Price, Executive Director of Children’s House International and who has worked in international adoption for 28 years.
In this episode, we cover:
- Outline of the typical international adoption process.
- What type of kids are available for international adoption?
- What is the youngest child available?
- Is it possible to adopt a young healthy child or baby from abroad?
- International adoption regulations.
- What governmental entities are involved in international adoption?
- How to decide on what country to adopt from? Will the country accept you? Does the country place children that you think your family is a good fit for?
- What are some of the country-specific requirements for adoptive parents?
- Can adoption agencies have different or more stringent requirements than the foreign or US government?
- What are the health risks for children adopted internationally? What type of special needs do children have?
- What type of care do children have before adoption? Institutional vs foster care.
- How to find children abroad who are waiting for adoption? How to adopt a child on a waiting child website?
- How much information will you have on the health of the child when you receive a referral?
- How big of a risk is it that a country will close down to international adoption once you apply? How do you mitigate the risk of losing the money you invested?
- What to look for in an international adoption agency?
- Pre-adoption education requirements.
- How much does international adoption cost?
- Are grants available?
- What is the Adoption Tax Credit and can it be used for an international adoption?
- How long does it take to adopt a child from abroad?
- Is it possible for single women, gays, lesbians, or other members of the LGBTQ+ community to adopt internationally?
- Importance of post-adoption reporting.
- How do internationally adopted children acquire US citizenship?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Image Credit: RODNAE Productions