What to Expect in the Adoption Home Study
Perspective adoptive parents dread the home study, but it is a key part of the adoption process. Why is it important, what should you expect and how does it differ by type of adoption? Join our guest, Susan Watson, Director of Domestic Adoption with Spence Chapin Adoption Agency to talk about adoption home studies.
- Why should people adopting have to pass an adoption home study when people who conceive do not.
- How soon in the adoption process should you start your adoption home study?
- How do you find an adoption home study agency?
- Does the adoption home study provider have to be licensed in your state?
- How does a home study for international adoption differ from a home study for domestic adoption of a child?
- What is required to be included in an adoption home study?
- What should prospective adoptive parents do to prepare for a homestudy for a transracial adoption?
- What are adoption home study agencies looking for when white parents want to adopt an African American child?
- Can you adopt a child if you are taking antidepressants?
- Will children living in the home be interviewed as part of the homestudy process for adoption?
- Will adult children living away from home be interviewed as part of the adoption home study process?
- Will a misdemeanor arrest and conviction in the past affect your chances of adopting a child internationally?
- Will a criminal conviction in your past affect your chances of adopting a child domestically?
- What are the financial requirements for adopting a child. How will finances be addressed in the adoption home study process?
- Can you adopt a baby if you are currently unemployed?
- Do you have to own a home to be able to adopt a child domestically or internationally?
- Can people living in apartments adopt a child?
- What type of space requirements must be addressed in the adoption home study?
- When you are adopting must you have a room for the child or can the child share a room with a sibling?
- How clean must your home be to pass an adoption home study?
- Does the adoption home study expect both parents to be equally enthusiastic about the adoption?
- How is grief over infertility and the inability to have a child dealt with in the adoption home study?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed