Adopting Internationally As an American Living Abroad
Can expats adopt a child while living abroad? Can military families adopt while stationed abroad? Can they adopt a child from the US, the country where they’re living or a different foreign country? How does the adoption process change when you’re not living in the US?
- Intercountry adoption from the country where you are living
- Intercountry adoption from a country other than where you are living
- Must you use an adoption agency to complete an international adoption when you are living abroad?
- Does it matter if the country you are adopting from is a member of the Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption or not?
- Does it matter if the prospective adoptive parents are permanently or temporarily living abroad?
- What are the issues to consider when having a home study completed while living abroad?
- Does the home study agency have to be licensed by someone in the US?
- Must your adoption agency approve of the home study agency in advance?
- How do you get the required adoption education when you are an ex-pat
- What are the important distinctions between finalizing the adoption and getting your child US citizenship? Are they the same thing?
- Can you adopt a child that you met on a mission trip to another country? Adopting an identified child.
- How can a member of the military adopt while deployed?
- Must you return to the US for your adopted child to have US citizenship?
- How do you adopt a family member who is living abroad?
- Does the US government have a problem with adopted children maintaining dual nationality or dual citizenship?
- Do the rules change at all if the husband and wife are of different nationalities (different citizenships) but want to adopt through the US and ultimately give the child US citizenship.
- Is it wrong to take a child away from his/her cultural roots, from his ‘world’ as he knows it– his friends, his environment, etc.?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed