Adopting from Foster Care
What is the process for adopting from foster care? How long does it take, do you have to foster first, can you adopt a child from another state, should you work with a private or public agency? Join our guests Jennifer Deazvedo, waiting child adoption coordinator for Children’s Connection Inc.; Dr. Dixie Davis, Executive Director of The Adoption Exchange and the Wednesday’s Child Foundation which recruits families for children in foster care; and Jennifer M. Phillips, adoption supervisor with Lutheran Social Services of Southern New England.
Hit the Highlights
- The racial, age, and gender statistics for children currently available for adoption in the US foster care system.
- How do children end up in governmental care?
- Are infants or babies available to adopt from foster care?
- Are pre-school aged children available for adoption from foster care?
- How many of the children that are available for adoption through foster care are a part of a sibling group?
- Can single women adopt from foster care?
- Can people living in an apartment adopt from foster care?
- Do you need to own your own house in order to adopt? Is home ownership required for adoption from foster care?
- Can same sex couples, gays and lesbians adopt?
- What type of training is required to adopt from foster care? How long does this training last?
- Who performs the home study for adopting from foster care?
- Can you use your foster care adoption home study for either domestic infant or international adoption?
- How to prepare children already in the home for the adoption of a new child?
- How long does it take to terminate parental rights?
- How long does a state have to find a permanent home for a child?
- Should you use a private adoption agency that is under contract with the state to place children from foster care, or should you use the public county agency?
- How does foster to adopt differ from adopting a child that is legally free for adoption?
- How can prospective adoptive parents make sure they have all the information available about a child they are considering adopting?
- Can you adopt a child from foster care in another state?
- Can you adopt across state lines?
- Are adoptions from foster care open?
- Do children adopted from foster care have continued contact with their birth family or birth grandparents or siblings?
- Should you use photolistings to find children available to adopt?
- What type of subsidies are available for families that adopt from foster care?
- Will children adopted from foster care continue to have a Medicaid card?
- What type of post adoption support should adoptive parents look for from an adoption agency?