Adopting a Child in a Different StateQ: Is it possible to adopt a child born in another state, provided that all parental rights were terminated on both mother and father’s sides?  What extra complications or legalities do families adopting out of state face?

A: Absolutely you can adopt out of state. You will need to comply with the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC).  The ICPC is not a federal law, but a reciprocal state law which has been enacted in the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands.  As a result, adopting out of state is a bit more complicated, but it’s done all the time. Hire an attorney in the state the child is born in that is very knowledgeable on adoption and the ICPC.  I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney that is affiliated with the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys .  She or he will let you know if you will need another attorney in your home state.

For more information, listen to the Creating a Family show on How to Adopt a Child in Another State.

Image credit: paul goyette